- Tiny Bear’s Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones – This rhyming board book is a great way to introduce infants to the Bible.
- A Child’s First Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones – This is a simple excerpted version of Bible stories for younger toddlers.
- A Child’s First Bible by Kenneth Taylor – Beautiful and clearly written, a Bible that elementary children can read independently.
- Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones – We use this wonderful Bible in the DIG K1 class. It is great for ages 3 and up.
- The Action Bible by Sergio Cariellio – Great for comic book lovers, ages 5 and up.
- Jesus Calling Storybook Bible by Sarah Young
Devotion Guides for Children
- Thoughts That Make Your Heart Sing by Sally Lloyd Jones – This devotional features short daily readings with scriptures, for ages 4 and up.
- Long Story Short by Marty Machowski – Quick daily devotionals that go through the arc of scripture, with activities, questions, and references. Connects Old Testament stories to Jesus very well. For ages 4 through middle school.
- Psalms for Young Children by Marie-Helene Delval – This French author paraphrases psalms into very approachable language. There are several more in the series, including Images of God, which describes the character traits of God. Both can be used to model for children how to praise God in prayer.
- Childrens Adoration Prayer Book by Bob Hartley – Great resource that describes the attributes of God with scriptures and prayers to help children understand what it means to praise God.
- The Action Bible Devotional by Jeremy V. Jones – A companion devotional for The Action Bible, it connects Action Bible stories with a devotion and provides application of the story to children’s lives, using action hero language. Great for reluctant readers, ages 7 and up.
- The Book of God by Ben Avery – Another comic book inspired Bible resource that explains the origins, authors, and canonization of scripture. Ages 7 and up.
- Seeds Family Worship Music – We use this music in DIG to help kids learn scripture. Their cds are wonderful and even tolerable for adult listeners.
- Rain for Roots Scripture Music – Another children’s worship music option that’s straight scripture and also musically beautiful.
- Sing the Bible with Bugs and Slugs – Scripture memory for toddlers and preschoolers. Slightly zany and fun.
- Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick – This book explores how to live out the gospel with your kids, rather than just trying to get them to be rule followers. Some of the examples felt contrived but I found the book’s premise really helpful.
- Habits of a Child’s Heart: Raising your Kids with the Spiritual Disciplines by Valerie E. Hess and Marti W. Garlett – This book gives age appropriate ways to introduce children to the practice of spiritual disciplines.
- Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay – A very practical guide to equipping children to be independent and make thoughtful, caring decisions. Includes lot of good tips on logical consequences for behavior.
- To My Friend Reflections on Motherhood: Wit and Wisdom on Raising Toddlers to Teenagers by Michelle Sbrana – A quick, fun read with many practical ideas for every aged child.
Parenting Young Children
- Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic – Super quick and entertaining read for parents of infants and toddlers. I didn’t agree with all the author’s views but found it really thought provoking.
- Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I never expected about being a mom by Lisa-Jo Baker – An inspiring, encouraging read about the beauty and difficulties of motherhood. Although the author has young children, moms of all ages will appreciate this memoir.
- Sticky Faith by Kara E. Powell and Dr. Chap Clark – An indispensable book that examines the state of the spiritual life of American teens and provides practical ways to help kids own faith for themselves.
- Boys Should Be Boys by Meg Meeker – A pediatrician writes about how to nurture boys to grow into the men God created them to be.
- Enough: 10 things we should tell teen girls by Kate Connor – The author is brutally honest about what we need to be talking about with our girls to help them fight the destructive lies our culture tells them about being women.
- Ten Things for Teen Girls by Kate Connor
- Ten Things for Teen Guys by Dan Connor
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker