March’s Memory Verses
Toddlers-4th Grade: Matthew 16:24-25
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.” (“Follow Me,” Seeds of Purpose, Track 6)
5th-8th Grade: The Lord’s Prayer (from Matthew 6:9-13)
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
7th-8th Grade: Philippians 4:8
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Toddlers: Jesus and Zacchaeus
During March toddlers are learning about Jesus and Zacchaeus. Possible activities to do with your toddler:
- Act out the story with your child using plastic or wooden figures.
- Read the accounts of this story from Sally Lloyd Jones’ Tiny Bear’s Bibleor Jesus Storybook Bible.
- Ask some wondering questions:
- I wonder why Zacchaeus climbed the tree?
- I wonder how Zacchaeus felt when Jesus noticed him?
Preschool: Jesus and the Children
In March preschoolers are hearing about the Life and Ministry of Christ.
- I wonder why the disciples didn’t want the children near?
- I wonder why Jesus had the children come close to him?
- I wonder what it felt like to be close to him?
K-1st Grade: Washed with Tears
This month younger elementary children are focusing on the Life and Ministry of Christ.
- I wonder what bad things the woman had done?
- I wonder how she got the expensive perfume?
- I wonder why she started to cry?
- I wonder why the Important People hated Jesus?
2nd-4th Grade: Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22-36)
Older elementary students continue to focus on the Life and Ministry of Christ.
- I wonder why Jesus walked on the water?
- I wonder why Peter wanted to get out of the boat?
- I wonder why Peter became afraid?
5th-6th Grade: What will happen when Christ returns? (John 5:28-29)
Younger middle schoolers are continuing their study through the EFCA’s Statement of Faith.
- What emotions do you feel reading these verses? Fear, excitement, sadness? Why?
- What questions do you still have about Christ’s return and the eternal consequences that will come with it?
7th-8th Grade: Straining Toward the Goal (Philippians 3:12-21)
Older middle schoolers are reflecting on the epistle of Philippians during the winter/spring semester.
- Did God speak to you today as you were studying Philippians?
- What verses were particularly meaningful to you?