November’s Memory Verse
Toddlers-4th Grade: Psalm 37:4-6, Seeds of Purpose, Track 7 – Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him, and He will do this. He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
5th-8th Grade: OT Books of the Bible (Minor Prophets) – Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habbakuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
During November toddlers will hear the story of Abraham. Possible activities to do with your toddler:
- Show your child the night sky and ask her to count the stars. Remind her that Abraham was promised that he’d have as many children as there are stars in the sky (Genesis 22:17).
- Ask your child, “Have you ever been on a long trip like Abram? What do you think he packed?” Act out packing for a long journey like Abram.
- Talk about the desert through which Abram and his family traveled to get to the land God promised. What’s it like to travel in a desert and what lives there?
Preschool: The Promised Land
- I wonder how the people felt when Joshua told them to get ready to go into the Promised Land?
- I wonder how it felt when God led them through the water into the Promised Land?
- I wonder if the People of God were still scared of the giants after they crossed the Jordan River?
- I wonder what the people of God will do, now that they are in the Promised Land?
K-1st Grade: The Forgiving Prince
Younger elementary children continued in the Jesus Storybook Bible with the story of Joseph.
- I wonder how it feels to be treated unfairly.
- I wonder how Joseph felt in prison.
- I wonder if it is hard to forgive.
- I wonder how Joseph might be like Jesus?
2-4th Grade: Manna, Exodus 16:1-31
This week older elementary children continued in the book of Exodus with the story of God’s provision of manna.
- I wonder why the Israelites forgot so quickly what God had done for them by delivering them from Egypt?
- I wonder why the People of God cared so much about what food they ate?
- I wonder what manna looked like?
- I wonder what the Isrealites learned about God by seeing Him provide manna?
5-6th Grade: What is communion?
Younger middle schoolers continued their study of the EFCA’s statement of faith, focusing on the ordinance of communion.
- How do you think communion shows us a picture of the gospel?
- How does communion remind you of Christ’s death? His coming?
- What is it like for you to participate in communion?
7-8th Grade: Psalm of Lament, #143
Older middle schoolers began a brief three-week study of the Psalms, as part of a year-long exploration of the different literary genres of scripture.
- What does God tell us about His character in this psalm?
- Can you relate to the writer’s feelings in this psalm? How?
- Consider writing your own prayer of lament over something that breaks your heart.