Several weeks ago Bjorn Anderson preached on the integrated life as it applies to our families. He talked about how Jesus must come first and when that happens Christ’s love flows to our families. He encouraged us to consider practices throughout the week where we gather as a family to discuss and remember who God is and what He has done for us.
One practice I attempt to do with my children is daily devotions. I don’t know about you but I find trying to have regular devotions with kids hard many days. When I start the morning with a drooly infant throwing food on the floor, or a grumpy toddler refusing to eat, the last thing I want to do is praise God with them. And yet those are the very days my kids and I need to spend time with Jesus the most and receive his love yet again. Devotions can feel like another thing to check off on our to do list. But instead, they are about creating a space for God to work in our hearts and the hearts of our kids, even if my daughter is dancing circles around me while I read the Jesus Story Book Bible.
Below I have compiled a list of resources to use in beginning or growing a family devotion time. This is by no means an exhaustive list. If there’s a particular area you are interested in and want more resources, please email me-I’d love to share what I know or find more for you.
Hearing God’s Word Resources
- A Child’s first Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones-This is a simple excerpted version of bible stories for younger toddlers. (http://www.amazon.com/ChildS-First-Bible-EditionBabys/dp/1575848163)
- Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones-We use this wonderful bible in the DIG K1 class. It is great for ages 3 and up. (http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Every-Whispers/dp/0310708257/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414612604&sr=1-1&keywords=jesus+storybook+bible)
- Thoughts that make Your Heart Sing by Sally Lloyd Jones-This devotional features short daily readings with scriptures, for ages 4 and up. (http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Make-Your-Heart-Sing/dp/0310721636/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414612736&sr=1-1&keywords=thoughts+that+make+your+heart+sing
- The Action Bible by Sergio Cariellio- Great for comic book lovers, ages 5 and up. (http://www.christianbook.com/the-action-bible/9780781444996/pd/444996?kw=r-action%20bible&mt=b&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&gclid=CjwKEAjwoMKiBRDHwoaQ0dzn0UwSJAAUk5Jia8AQbDatA3bh8hm6rNLHtLqMMI78YzSfNCTBBgbcuRoCM_3w_wcB)
- Jesus Calling Storybook Bible by Sarah Young (http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Calling-Bible-Storybook-Sarah/dp/140032033X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414613323&sr=1-1&keywords=jesus+calling+storybook+bible+by+sarah+young)
Responding to God’s Word Resources
- Psalms for Young Children by Marie-Helene Delval- This French author paraphrases psalms into very approachable language. There are several more in the series, including Images of God, which describes the character traits of God. Both can be used to model for children how to praise God in prayer. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&fieldkeywords=psalms%20for%20young%20children&sprefix=psalm%2Cstripbooks)
- Childrens Adoration Prayer Book by Bob Hartley- Great resource that describes the attributes of God with scriptures and prayers to help children understand what it means to praise God. (http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Adoration-Prayer-book-Hartley/dp/1479189383/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414614225&sr=1-1&keywords=childrens+adoration+prayer+book)
- Seeds Family Worship Music-We use this music in DIG to help kids learn scripture. Their cds are wonderful and even tolerable for adult listeners. (http://www.seedsfamilyworship.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwoMKiBRDHwoaQ0dzn0UwSJAAUk5Jiv9pF2GCzi_4LbuGNB8lEmc-fcaVjb8Vfr8y3YSNF5hoC6srw_wcB)
- Rain for Roots Scripture Music-Another children worship music that’s straight scripture and also musically beautiful. (http://rainforroots.bigcartel.com/)
- Sing the Bible with Bugs and Slugs-Scripture memory for toddlers and preschoolers. Slightly zany and fun. (http://www.slugsandbugs.com/)